Friday, December 18, 2009

Assignment 1- Final Draft

I am not going to sit here and try and say that I think there is something worse than having to write an essay, I know, that sounds terrible, especially with everything happening in today’s society, but really, when a teacher tells me I have to write an essay I get this pit in my stomach like when you know something bad is about to happen. The three things that go through my head are the due date, the first draft and the revision process, all which contribute to the now giant hole in my stomach. In Nancy Sommers “Revision Strategies of Student Writers and Experienced Adult Writers” excerpt, she gives examples of both student and experienced writers ideas of revision strategies. From Sommers research, she concludes that the student writer focuses mainly on word by word revision, unlike the experienced writer, who for the most part state that their “rewriting is a constant process.” Although I agree with Sommers to the point that student writers could definitely use some practice when it comes to revision, I cannot accept her overall conclusion that student writers all posses these same informal revision habits.
Thinking back to when I was first taught even just how to write a paragraph, I remember focusing mainly on grammar and spelling, punctuation, and the overall proper structure of the sentences and paragraph. I remember being taught to first revise the basic elements of the paragraph and then, after focusing on the paragraph as a whole, making sure the ideas were all there, supporting the thesis of course, and that I hadn’t trailed off onto a different subject. Teachers seemed like they tried to imprint good revision habits on us at an early stage in our writing careers, but I have to admit, procrastination most likely plays a bigger role than any student is willing to admit. Where a teacher would give an assignment with a due date well into the future, it becomes easier to put the assignment aside and focus on what other classes needed our immediate attention. This is the part where I agree with Sommers, and her opinion of the student writer’s revision process. How can a student properly revise, when procrastination barely leaves time to even write the paper in the first place? It almost leaves us no choice but to read over the paper only looking at the micro issues as opposed to rewriting actual paragraphs, sentences or if it is necessary, the entire paper, and even worse, we only have ourselves to blame.
Sommers points out that, “The students understand the revision process as a rewording activity.” Although I do not think this is how every student revises every paper he or she writes in college, there is of course, some truth to her statement. When I revise for school, as much as I would like to say I always focus on writing for my audience and on the big picture of my paper, this doesn’t always happen. Sometimes revising, as important as it really is, just seems so tedious. It’s hard to put so much effort into a paper, knowing that I might have to go back and rewrite huge parts of it. This attitude toward revision is a major difference in the student writer and the experienced writer, because the experienced writer always recognizes the importance of a thorough revision process. Never-the-less, when I do write a paper, I tend to try and revise as I go, writing a paragraph or even a few sentences, and then going back to reread them, making sure they flow and are actually saying what I am meaning them to say. After I have finished the entire paper, I try to give myself some space, do something to get my mind focusing on anything but the paper, so that I can hopefully come back later with a different mindset so when I read over my paper, I will be able to see any mistakes I previously missed.
Ultimately, when it comes to how I learned my revision techniques, it is a combination of what I have been taught by teachers, and unfortunately, what I feel is appropriate. Reading Sommers has definitely opened up my eyes to just how bad my writing and revision habits actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment