Sunday, October 11, 2009

Essay #1 first draft

Even though I don’t revise, by professional writers standards, the correct way, I do have to pat myself of the back and say that for the most part, I recognize who I am writing for, and try to cater to my audience, making sure they will be able to follow my paper. For example, when I would have to write research papers or book reports middle and high school, they would usually go something like, a topic sentence, a quote and then support the quote, which seems very formal and structured, because it was. Now teachers in college classes want your papers to be less formal, but still have as much structure, but be more conversational.
Because I do not have a job, or any other activities that require me to write formal papers, the only writing and revising I do is for school. Nancy Sommers claimed that student writers only focus on the micro issues, only worrying about not being repetitive and revising only words, not restructuring sentences or paragraphs, or even the entire paper, and I must admit, at first I thought this was ridiculous. But now that I really think about it, it’s so true, that is exactly what I do when I revise. Although I’ll tell you it’s definitely not the most productive and resourceful way to write, I do think it’s unfair to expect student writers to do as much revising as professional writers do.
I have to admit, I am not the biggest fan of English and writing classes. I guess it’s because they are not my strongest gifts. I would much rather solve a lengthy math problem or really anything else then sit down and write a paper, let alone go back after I have written it and revise it. But if I were to pick the hardest part of writing a paper, it would definitely be getting me to actually start, just put some ideas down, and write something! I’m going to have to say that just about all of my English teachers have taught me to revise the same text book way; get a first draft down, let it sit, come back and read it over, changing what either doesn’t flow, or restructure some sentences and/or paragraphs, even delete some things all together and re-write them. What’s sad, is that no matter how many teachers have told me this, and I’m sure this is true for some other students as well, it still takes a lot for me to come back and revise! To think of completely deleting a paragraph or even just a sentence that took so much effort for me to even write in the first place almost seems ludicrous!

No comments:

Post a Comment